…..the introduction of the latest version of its smartphone operating system BlackBerry 7, and unveiled two new BlackBerry Bold smartphones based on this OS. The new OS has a few improvements over preceding versions like faster performance for touch-screen navigation, web browsing, video and gaming and support for Near Field Communication technology.
The problem with Blackberry is that for a long time, it has been a “de-facto standard” for the enterprises. Over a period of time, it was forced to look at the growing market share of the other companies; most notably Apple. Of course, I was smitten by it, at some point in time, but after my Android experience, I doubt whether it is really required. Of course, it comes with it’s warts and all, but indeed, it was for the first time that I actually owned a touch phone that worked.
Hence, it is not surprising that with about an average hardware component, Blackberry should flounder. Reports of it’s “imminent demise” are probably over-rated by it’s detractors but it still capable of fighting in with the punch. This is not an endorsement (like what a twerps do on their twitter accounts); however, the major sore issue (with ANY smart phone company) is the lack of a decent after sales service.
Of course, RIM India was under a lot of cloud in recent times (it’s still not clear whether it has been sorted out or not), still is a matter of concern. Hence, even though Blackberry Messenger is a great option (surpassed by an interesting “WhatsApp” on Android), it makes reaching out to your contacts a breeze (in these so called flotsam called as “Social”).
- Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphones v2.0 (Beta Refresh): Support for OS 5.0 is here! (blogs.blackberry.com)
- RIM Updates Facebook for BlackBerries Beta (phonescoop.com)
- RIM Reveals New BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 Smartphones (geniusgeeks.com)
- RIM Updates Twitter for BlackBerry Beta (phonescoop.com)
- Twitter For BlackBerry Version 2 Beta Available On Beta Zone (pocketnow.com)
- RIM Gets More Social (morbium.wordpress.com)
- RIM shows off updated BlackBerry Bold (theglobeandmail.com)
- What’s the No. 1 factor keeping you loyal to BlackBerry? [poll] (zdnet.com)