I haven’t used Foursquare or Gowalla ever (but installing the app from Android Market right now). It would not be possible to do a comparison of these apps straight away but there are many people who have done it earlier.
The interesting aspect is that it relies on “crowd sourcing” turning up the recommendations as the user base grows. An important part of it is growing database of how social search has evolved since it is no longer dependent on what is being written about something. Instead it relies on how we interact with others in real time, build on the data, release the API‘s and bam… you have something better than the incumbent.
The impact may not be apparent immediately but I am surprised myself as to why I didn’t cover this issue earlier. Still, I am keeping my eyes peeled for the same and checking out Foursquare. Maybe, I’d look at Gowalla later but there are more people on Foursquare though. Gowalla sounds very odd (in my opinion).
Although I still feel that there is a huge scope for something similar in India (even as a value added service) but there is no clone either. Crap.
- Gowalla Leads in Openness, to Offer Place Data Download This Year (programmableweb.com)
- Gowalla 3 Checks In with Everyone: Can it Catch Foursquare? (dailyfinance.com)
- Gowalla for Android Updated With UI Overhaul (intomobile.com)
- Hands-on with Gowalla for Android [Video] (thenextweb.com)
- Gowalla 3 Launches For Android Today (crunchgear.com)
- Gowalla CEO: Location Apps Must Be About More than Games and Badges (pcworld.com)
- Gowalla 3 Launches For Android Today (techcrunch.com)
- Foursquare vs. Gowalla, big differences (mddt.wordpress.com)
- Gowalla hooks up with CNN’s iReport (lostremote.com)
- How Foursquare’s “Venue Project” is Expanding Its Platform Strategy (programmableweb.com)
- Echoecho 2.0 Makes Meeting Up With Your Friends as Easy as Five Clicks (newsgrange.com)
- Who Will Win the SXSW Location War? (ghdialogue.posterous.com)